Sunday 28 July 2013

Losing It by Cora Carmack



Hello!       
                                                                                                                                                *FYI, I said that in a Marcus Butler accent*

Today I'm back with my first book review.
The novel I chose to review is "Losing It" by Cora Carmack. I read it a couple of days ago so my thoughts and feelings about it are still fresh and I thought, why not?

I am a person that hates giving stars to books as a way of reviewing them. Well I do it it anyway, but if you want to know my honest opinions and thoughts on a book, I'd advise you to read my reviews. 

Now into the actual review;

Before I go more in depth on my thoughts on this, I believe it is right to state that this is a Contemporary New Adult novel which, based off Goodreads and Wikipedia, covers subjects that fall in between Young Adult and Adult Fiction. This means that swearing as well as intimate scenes etc, will be featured in the book. At least this is what I believe New Adult is. 

So, I picked up Losing It, because it seemed like a fun book and it is quite small. 200 pages can be read in one sit. And this is what happened with me. Now, it wasn't the "Oh my God, I can't put this book down. It's so captivating." but it went something like this "It's not awful and I've got nothing else to do, so why not finish it?". 





In Losing It, we follow a girl named Bliss Edwards whom is soon to graduate College but apparently is still a virgin. Tired of being the only one between her friends, she decides to just go out, find a charming male and get it over with. When she finally finds the "one", a gorgeous guy named Garrick, and everything goes as planned she leaves him -naked in her bed- with an excuse only a toddler could believe. Eights hours later, as she walks into her first class she notices someone familiar. The guy she left naked a couple of hours ago is in her class. Is he a new student? Negative. That guy is her new Theatre Professor. 

This book was okay and I did like it, but I think the plot was lacking. I mean can the "Virgin" issue be enough so this story can stand as a novel? I think not. For me there was something missing. As far as the characters are concerned, Bliss wasn't my favourite, I wasn't rooting for her as I would normally do with others. Now, Garrick was a total charmer, but their relationship came out a bit cheesy. If I had to choose, without a second thought Cade was my favourite character from the entire book and I wished for him the best. It bugged me watching him hurting. It really did. However, there were three things I thoroughly liked; the first one being, towards the end of the book were College was coming to an end and everyone was feeling sad and was having those bittersweet emotions. It was so sweet, and that's when I clicked with Bliss. When she said this; "Leaving college seemed impossible. I had never been happier than the four years I’d spent here. I looked around the table as people laughed and screamed (we only had one volume— really, loud). These people were my family. They understood me and knew me in ways that no one else did. I couldn’t imagine my life without them." I don't know how to explain it but when I read that, I felt like I connected with them, and felt nostalgic already. The second thing was the "Dance" Bliss would always do when she was feeling happy. I loved that about her and it kind of showed me her true personality. Like, when she danced she came out of her shell and shared her own private world with the rest of the world. And finally the last thing was the epilogue. I loved seeing Bliss from Garrick's eyes. The vibe of the book, took a completely different turn. I wish all of it had that characteristic from the Epilogue. Because if it did, I personally think the book would have been so much better. The writing was so much more poetic in a way and I loved that.

And at the end, of course she danced. ~

Cora has also published "Faking It" which the companion novel for "Losing It". "Finding It", the third and probably final book is expected to be published later in 2013.

Places from where you can buy "Losing It":









No comments:

Post a Comment